Taking care of oral health should be one of the priorities of every person. Because, due to constant use, it is an area susceptible to infections. Even fungus may appear in the mouth. Something that is not only unpleasant to look at, but also dangerous for those who suffer from it.
when do we say that there is a fungus in the mouth? What symptoms does it present? What is the best treatment to follow? Let’s see.
Contenido del Artículo
What are fungi in the mouth?
Fungi are microorganisms that can appear suddenly in different parts of the body. For their reproduction they only need two things: moisture and warmth at the same time. This is easily achieved in the mouth. That is why fungi, such as the well-known Candida albicans, can appear there at any time.
There are many fungi that can affect the oral cavity. Whether on the tongue, gums, teeth or even in the pharynx. That is why it is necessary to know the causes that can lead to their appearance. Only in this way can they be counteracted.
Causes of fungus in the mouth
Something that considerably influences the appearance, or not, of fungus in the mouth, is the condition of the person. That is why, in some cases, the condition spreads rapidly. This is revealed by the study on Candidiasis of the oral mucosa. This study shows that when the ideal conditions for the reproduction of the fungus are present, it can be installed immediately.
Logically, the appearance of fungus in the mouth can be due to different causes. Mayo Clinic, a website specialized in medicine, highlights the following.
- Low defenses. The main reason why fungi proliferate in the body, regardless of the location, is a weak defense system.
- Low saliva. Dryness, in the absence of saliva, turns the mouth into the perfect home for fungi.
- Inadequate diet. Poor diet, or poor choice of food influences low defenses, which in turn facilitates the appearance of fungi.
- Poor cleaning. With proper oral hygiene, many oral conditions, including fungus, can be avoided. But, if it is not done, the risk of having them is higher.
- Dentures. When they are elements that must be removed, and especially if they are not well cleaned, they can cause fungi in the area where they are used inside the mouth.
- Diseases. Some conditions can encourage the appearance of fungus, such as diabetes or AIDS
Symptoms of mouth fungus
Johanna Rhodes, a specialist in infectious diseases, points out the symptoms of fungus in the mouth
- Pain. This is a feeling of irritation and burning. This may increase when eating or drinking food. Especially if the taste is strong.
- Mucous. This is one of the main symptoms. White spots may be seen in the affected area.
- Taste alteration. Due to the presence of the fungus, some tastes are distorted.
- Swelling. Especially when the fungus is located on the gums, the whole area may swell.
- Fissures. In the most severe cases, some bumps can be seen on the lips, especially in the corners of the lips.
- Bad breath. Whatever the stage of the condition, this is one of the first symptoms to appear.
Preventing mouth fungus
The key to preventing fungus in the mouth lies in, first, knowing the causes and second, taking them into account on a daily basis. For example, as we know that poor diet can cause fungus, measures should be taken in order to have a balanced diet, which includes all the necessary nutrients, as expressed by expert nutritionists.
An essential measure is a regular visit to the dentist. Whether an oral condition is suspected or not, it is important to go to the dentist. The dentist will be able to perform a complete evaluation and detect any abnormalities, if there are any, in time. It will always be better to take steps to prevent the disease.
Treatment of mouth fungus
Although some people claim to be able to cure mouth fungus at home, if it is already present, regardless of whether it is recent or in an advanced stage, it is best to see a dentist immediately. He will be able to determine the severity of the condition. Only then, taking into account your diagnosis, will you know what corrective measures to take.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine, endorsed by health experts, points out the best treatment to follow when suffering from mouth fungus
If the condition is mild
In this case, it is suggested to use antibiotics, prescribed by the treating physician. After this, you can eat yogurt. The intention is to help eliminate the fungus present through the body’s own microbiota. Usually, within a maximum period of 7 days, the fungal element has completely disappeared.
If the condition is severe
When the fungus has already advanced in any part of the mouth, and antibiotic treatment does not offer the expected results, the doctor will prescribe other medications, for example, antifungals. Although these usually come in the form of a cream, in this particular case it is better a presentation that can be swallowed, such as pills or syrup.
The most recommended antifungals are fluconazole and itraconazole. Nystatin, an antifungal that can combat the presence of fungi, is also recommended. This can be obtained in the form of mouthwash. The union of all these medications, as well as proper oral hygiene, allows the condition to be completely eliminated.Mouth fungus can cause a lot of discomfort. Fortunately, they can be prevented, and even eliminated. The best thing to do in each case is to follow medical instructions.