Within the immense world of drugs we find some designed for a specific purpose. For example, antibiotics make it possible to successfully deal with the presence of bacteria. And some are prepared for certain types of bacteria. Within this group we can mention bactroban.
In this article we will see what bactroban is, how it is used, the health risks that its consumption may have, among other important details.
Contenido del Artículo
What is bactroban?
- Formula: C26H44O9
- CAS Number: 12650-69-0
- Molar mass: 500.622 g/mol
Bactroban is a chemical compound containing mupirocin as well as polyethylene glycol, among other elements. Thanks to this combination, a powerful and effective antibiotic is obtained. It is one of the most recommended in the market due to the speed with which it takes effect on the disease, making it disappear completely.
In order to guarantee the safety of the people who use it, the production and distribution of this component is allowed only to authorized institutions, being the recognized pharmacies one of them. One of the peculiarities of this product is that, for each gram of bactroban, it has 20 milligrams of mupirocin.
Benefits of bactroban
The main benefit of bactroban is the elimination of bacteria, more specifically those located on the skin. Among the ailments that can be controlled thanks to this medication, the National Library of Medicine of the United States highlights the following.
- Reddening of the face. It is a condition known as impetigo that affects the facial skin.
- Reddening of the skin. Like impetigo, ecthyma causes redness of the skin, although in this case it can appear anywhere on the body.
- Folliculitis. This disease, as its name suggests, inflames the follicles of the skin, causing itching and even pain.
- Dermatitis. It can also cause swelling and itching. Although it usually appears on legs and arms, it has been proven that it can affect different areas of the body.
Another advantage of bactroban is that it not only eliminates the diseases already present, but also acts as a protective agent, reducing the risk that these conditions may appear.
Use of bactroban
The drug known as bactroban is available in cream form. This allows it to be applied to the skin in a simple manner. Even so, the Spanish Agency of Medicines and Health Products highlights some measures to take into account.
- Form of application. Some element should be used so that the cream does not come into contact with the fingers or the rest of the hand. It can be through absorbent cotton.
- Wash hands. This should be done both before and after applying the cream. If residue is left on the skin, the power of the medication may cause it to penetrate.
- Amount of bactroban. It is a very strong drug so it is only recommended to place a small amount, then spread it over the affected area.
- Amount of spread. Bactroban is only designed for small spots, so it should not be used on very large areas.
- Number of times. It can only be used for a maximum of 3 times in one day. However, if any unfavorable reaction is observed, it is better to reduce its use.
- Use on burns. It is true that it can protect the skin, but its use is only approved for minor burns, otherwise it will not have any positive effect.
Another point to consider is the duration of treatment. It should always be approved and monitored by a medical expert. This could be extended for 5 or 10 days, depending on the type of condition as well as the evolution of the disease.
Side effects of bactroban
Do not forget the maximum amount of bactroban allowed by the doctor, as well as the limit period of the treatment. Otherwise very unpleasant symptoms could occur. Among these, the Mayo Clinic website points out the following.
- Burning in the diseased area.
- Frequent and increasingly intense itching.
- Reddening of the skin.
- Inflammation of the skin, especially where the drug was applied.
- Allergic reactions, or related symptoms such as rashes.
Although no person wants to have any of these symptoms, it should be noted that they can appear at any time. It is even possible that they may do so after carefully following medical instructions
In that case, it is best to go to a health care facility as soon as possible. Other even more serious symptoms include the following.
- Allergic reaction. This includes problems such as swelling of the body, both in the affected area and in other places such as the face or throat.
- Fainting. Although rare, some people have experienced fainting and loss of consciousness after use.
- Skinconditions. This is not just a small rash. In this case, the area fills with pus, putting the affected area at greater risk
If any of the above symptoms occur, it is imperative to seek medical help as soon as possible.
Is the use of bactroban contraindicated?
Like any other medication, it is necessary to take care that the person using it is not contraindicated. In this sense, the Spanish Agency of Medicines and Health Products, authority on the subject of health, highlights who should not use bactroban under any circumstances.
- Infants. Bactroban is a drug with very strong components, so the effect on the baby’s weak skin would be very harmful.
- Allergic to the drug. If a person is allergic to bactroban or to one of its components, it is best not to use it.
- People with kidney disease. The body needs to get rid of the rest of the drug, but this is not possible in people with this condition.
- Pregnant women. It can significantly affect the health and development of the baby. It should not be used, even during breastfeeding.
- People using other drugs. Especially if they are antibiotics. It is only recommended to use one at a time.
Because of its regenerative and protective properties, bactroban is highly recommended. When instructions are followed, its benefits are enjoyed.